The RV Shop

Monday, January 18, 2010

On The Road to Apple Valley, California

An unusual situation occurred when we left Charleston ... It was not raining!! We are usually plagued with rain when preparing the RV for travel. The dry weather was a nice gift.

We traveled a few hours south and stopped at Harris Beach State Park near Brookings, Oregon. Oregon was experiencing storms which included high winds. We thought it was a good idea to get off the road for a couple of days. The surf of the Pacific Ocean was so high you couldn't walk the beach. It was a relaxful couple of days spent mostly inside. It allowed me to do a few chores I had been putting off.

Because we were about to cross the border into California, we tried to remember what food could not cross the California border. We assumed it was fruit. We had three apples, four oranges, four kiwi, two lemons and one lime. OMG! I didn't want to give up this much produce. That's like throwing away money for me. So we ate the kiwis, oranges and an apple. I grated and squeezed the lemons and lime for the freezer. Just before leaving, I quartered the remaining apples and hoped we could eat them before arriving at the border. We were so full of fruit, we didn't eat the apples like I hoped we would. When we arrived at the check point, they questioned us about fruit and produce. They didn't want our apples!

Driving Highway 101 in northern California is scenic. First along the beach, then into the Redwoods. We stayed at a Passport America park, Stafford RV Park, in Stafford, California. This park is owned by a local church. They had monthly renters. It had been raining and the ground was soft. It took our 4-wheel drive to park and pull out. We were the only rig parked in the back, so it was quiet.

South of Sacramento we took Highway 20 east to I-5. It was foggy beside Clear Lake. I was disappointed because the last time we drove Highway 20 it was dark. I was looking forward to seeing the lake.

We stayed at a truck stop in Santa Nella, California. After midnight, the trucks settled down and it was quiet for several hours. We woke to thick fog. We talked about waiting for the fog to lift, but decided to take off. Driving was fine. At times the fog was thick and other times it had raised a bit.

We arrived in Apple Valley at about 3:30 pm. We are enjoying our time with our friends Sonny and Mary.

No comments:

Post a Comment